Picking up where we left off in our last article on email usage, trends and research indicate that email is still an effective tool for taking care of your customers. Email is evolving right along with all things digital and internet. We think incorporating a few best practices into every email you send will increase your return on investment and keep your customers happy, too. Because when it comes to email, it’s all about that base. Your customer base.
Check out six of our favorite best practices to weave into every email you send.
- Show you care – talk with your customer, not at them. Soften your tone a bit too. Think less ‘mechanical’ and more ‘person to person’. It will help your email to stand out.
- Get personal – email is a great medium to humanize your brand. Put yourself out there with stories about mistakes, growing pains or business challenges.
- Share a file -marketing emails don’t usually include attachments. Adding helpful stuff like a report or coupon will get your customers used to receiving added value in every email.
- Be as clear as possible – nothing is worse than not instantly understanding what to do next. Your call to action should be very, very clear in the body of your email. And use a button, like ‘register now’ to make it easy to find and activate.
- Use the element of surprise – customers will look forward to your emails if you give them something unexpected. Mix up the content with surveys, local happenings or an evocative headline and article to keep the interest level high.
- Make your customers happy – don’t overestimate the value of giving stuff away like the report or coupon we mentioned earlier. Other options for giving are telling a good news story, sharing upbeat or educational messages that may be a one-off from your business. Don’t just sell – make them smile.
A different animal
Emails for your customer base are a different animal. Using a few of these best practices will help to strengthen your relationship by building trust. Make the most of every opportunity you have to talk with your customer base. Since emails are permission based and the unsubscribe link is easy to utilize, the more you do to keep your customers happy and feeling appreciated, the better.
We run email and social media management programs for many of our happy customers. Give us a call today – we’d love to help you increase your email ROI and your list of happy customers. And of course, add you to ours.