With only a few weeks left to 2014 it’s a good time to turn your attention to your website. If you haven’t refreshed the content yet this year you are missing out on a simple way to drive more visitors to your site. To simplify the process we’ve put together a checklist of key items from two categories to review before the end of the year. Don’t wait until January to make this a priority. Because we all know how January turns into February, then March, then November…you get the point.
Content is one of the simplest cost effective ways to update your website. And content written in the first person is considered a more contemporary way to present your message. We recommend you pay particular attention to a couple of pages.
- About Us – update it with current staff members, bios, company history and major company milestones. Visitors do want to read about who they are doing business with and will look at this page to establish a sense of your credibility.
- Products or Services – update by editing descriptions where possible to make them shorter. Visitors can get bored if the page is text heavy. And check to be sure your industry ‘lingo’ or terminology is current as well.
- News or events – reorder the events on the page so the most recent appears on the top. If your news is more than 6 months old find a story to add or update an older one to keep it as current as possible.
The overall look needs to be contemporary and fresh. If you don’t have the budget to have your site redesigned consider these simple suggestions.
- Color and layout – the homepage should have a vibrant look and simple layout. Check to see where you can eliminate a box or button to cut down on visual clutter. Most sites are built on a template that should allow simple color changes to refresh the look. Take a few minutes to check out your competitors’ sites to make sure you are keeping pace and still look relevant in your industry.
- Navigation options – review the labels for each option to be sure they are sensible and make for easy navigation. Make sure your logo is a clickable link that returns visitors to Homepage. Make sure every link and option works and actually takes the visitor to the right place.
- Images – add or update images periodically to keep the search engines interested as well as your visitors. Make sure the images you use are purchased with a license for website use or that you have copyright permission to use them.
This list just scratches the surface of what to consider for updating your website. We are happy to help if you are too busy or just don’t care to make the changes yourself. But do plan to keep your site fresh and updated to kick off 2015.