Our CEO, Marnie Ochs Raleigh was asked to speak within a panel discussion at the “Destined to WIN” Women In Networking business conference last week. Her closing thoughts are worth sharing.
Evolve Systems is 12 years old, being a business owner, married to your business partner and mother of 4 teenagers there is never a dull moment. At times the feelings can be over whelming. This panel presentation was the perfect opportunity to reflect on the what, the how and the why I got where I am today and bring things into perspective.
Presenting with other two speakers, Nicole Middendorf and Mary Schmid, on the topic of ‘WIN 6 Figure Success’ we identified and shared several key qualities or information we wished we’d known from the start of business.
Our closing question for the panel event was simply, ‘What key thing do you wish to share with the audience?’ (As promised during the event, here is a list of items that I shared and believe honestly reflect the change that has helped Evolve Systems grow, and be such a great company.)
- Create a strategic plan for both your business and your personal life and review quarterly
- Set goals, create a goal board – have fun with it
- Raise more money than you think you will need, estimate 25% more
- Surround yourself with great people, your employees are your highest asset
- Hire people that are smarter than you are – not because you like them, or are friends
- Share the glory – praise your team and clients, celebrate success
- Be transparent with your team, treat them with respect
- Protect your culture, rotten apples do infest nastiness
- Create an Advisory Board with key people you need to contribute to your success
- Business Attorney
- IT Consultant
- Embrace change
- When change happens expect chaos to follow, and it typically comes in series of 3
- Be friends with your competitors
- Schedule time (meetings) on your calendar for your kids
- Force yourself to go on vacations
- Hire a business coach as soon as you can afford it
- Consider your business a hobby, it helps to reframe your thoughts on a nice Saturday when your friends are out playing at the lake
- Never give up – failure is not ever an option
- Create a brag book that collects thank you emails from clients, success stories and achievements to review when you’re having a bad day
- It’s OK to cry from time to time
I believe if you do the very best you can, deliver on what you promise and take advantage of each new day there is now where to go, but up. Find a way to ‘tug together’ not against your time, team and family.
Marnie lives and breathes these principles, as Evolve Systems continues to grow they become a stronger part of the foundation that has been built.