Blogging for business topped the charts as the number one area of increased activity for marketers in 2014. According to a study conducted by the Social Media Examiner blogging has incrementally increased from number four in 2012 to number three in 2013 and now to the top spot for increased activity. One point of distinction to note is that B2B marketers are more likely to increase blogging activity compared to B2C marketers. But blogging for the sake of blogging is a waste of time and can potentially cause more harm than good for your business. Ask yourself these seven questions before you click ‘publish’.
- Am I posting just to get this done? If your article lacks a pulse because you just whipped it together think twice before putting it out for public consumption. It can reflect poorly on your otherwise awesome business making it appear lackluster and unprofessional.
- Is it edited, fact-checked, spell checked and grammatically correct? Again, a poorly written article will reflect poorly on your business. As we get further away from formal writing (and more into emails & texts) our writing skills can suffer.
- Is it original? Original content is critical in two ways: search engines really love fresh content and search engines really don’t love plagiarism.
- Is the article insightful, relevant, thought provoking, or educational? Similar thinking as item #1. Your article should keep a reader interested or provoke a response.
- Is it too promotional, sales oriented or cluttered with calls-to-action? In your excitement to talk about your product or service be careful not to oversell. That’s one sure way to chase away readers, followers, and fans.
- If you came across this article would you bookmark or share it? If it’s truly not very interesting or valuable to you, then we’ll let you guess how it will land on your readers.
- Does it fit my overall marketing strategy? Blog articles should work together to tell the story of your business. Keep your articles focused, sharp and organized like chapters in a book. They should also work cohesively with your overall marketing strategy and efforts.
Content marketing and social media marketing are exploding. Blogging is an effective way to increase traffic to your website, generate leads and broaden your brand’s presence. And yes, the whole process has gotten a bit more complex. It’s why we do what we do at Evolve Systems. We love to create and execute marketing plans for business.
So if you’ve come to the realization that you don’t love marketing, blogging or simply don’t have the time, give us a call.